In this training video, we’re going to walk through how to use the Mimecast spam filter.
Mimecast Email Digest
A few times per day you will directly receive an email digest from “Postmaster.” This digest will provide the email address, a subject line, the date the email was sent, the reason why the email was caught in the spam filter, and three methods to release block, or permit emails.
- Release: This will release the current email On Hold to your Inbox, but future emails from this sender will still be placed On Hold.
- Block: This will reject the email and adds the sender’s address to your personal Block list to block future emails from this sender.
- Permit: Delivers the email to your Inbox and adds the sender’s address to your personal Permit list, so future emails are not put On Hold (for SPAM management policies only)
Accessing The Mimecast Portal
Mimecast also provides an option to login directly to the dashboard to manually release and whitelist addresses without having to wait for the daily email digests.
- To begin, navigate to the Mimecast portal: https://login.mimecast.com/ and click “Next” after entering your email address.
- Next, ensure “Domain” is selected from the drop down and type in your network password and click “log in.”
- Once in the portal, you will see a list of all the messages currently blocked in your inbox “Personal On Hold.”
To release a message, tick the checkbox next to the email, and then click the “Thumbs up icon”, choosing any one of the three following options:
- Release Message: This will release only this message.
- Release Message and Permit Sender: This will release any email sent from the sender’s email address
- Release Message and Permit Domain: This will release all emails sent from that organization going forward.
You may also reject a message by following the same process, but by clicking the “thumbs down icon.”
A similar list of options will be provided to:
- Reject the message
- Reject the message and block the sender
- Reject the message and block the domain
Managing Your Blocked & Permitted Lists
- From this portal, you can also manage your individual blocked and permitted lists using the options at the bottom of the column.
- To permit or block a new email address or domain click the Add Blocked or Add Permitted on the top right of the page.